Most women call the second trimester the ‘honeymoon period’ as it is easier than the first. You might notice that symptoms like nausea and fatigue are subsiding and you now have some more energy. This is the time when lots of women tell the world they’re pregnant.
As you go through the second trimester, you’ll gradually see your ‘bump’ grow and later you’ll start to feel your baby moving. This is the ideal time to go to some baby boutiques and buy some maternity clothes.
As your body changes to make room for your growing baby, you may find: –
- Heartburn – as your baby grows it places pressure on your digestive tract
- Swelling of the ankles and feet – as you carry around extra pregnancy weight
- Aches in the lower back as your uterus expands, your center of gravity shifts putting more pressure on your lower back
- Cravings may begin
- ‘Pregnancy glow’ is when your skin changes due to increased hormones in your body
- Breathlessness, as your uterus starts to grow it crowds the lungs, making it harder for air to flow in and out
- Eat more you will need about 300 extra calories a day
- Leg cramps is due not only to hormones and weight but also possibly a shortage of calcium or magnesium
- Dizziness is caused by lower blood pressure